Inpatient Hospice Services
We have two seven-bed inpatient units - one in South Bend and one in Elkhart, compliments our original mission by allowing patients to receive short-term care in a home-like setting. The photos on the left are of our South Bend Hospice House. Down below you can take a virtual tour of our Elkhart Hospice House.
Hospice House offers:
- A comfortable, home-like environment
- 24-hour-a-day visitation
- 7 private patient rooms
- Family room
- Spiritual reflection room
- Pet visitation
Patient care in Hospice House is provided 24-hours-a-day by a registered nurse and home health aide. Other members of the hospice team, including the patient’s own physician, the hospice medical director, social workers, spiritual care counselors and volunteers, also participate in the patient's care.
Hospice House Availability
To ensure Hospice House is available to serve those who need it most, admission guidelines for Hospice House are:
- Patients with uncontrolled physical/emotional symptoms requiring symptom management that cannot feasibly be provided in other settings.
- Patients with intense symptom management needs which are successfully met by their caregivers, but who are temporarily without caregivers, and other care giving arrangements are being made.
- Patients requiring respite care under certain federal and state insurance programs.
The hospice team meets to discuss the needs of each patient before they enter Hospice House. In consultation with the patient’s family and physician, a decision is reached for entry into Hospice House. Hospice continues to explore all other support systems before transferring or admitting a patient to Hospice House. The hospice team begins to develop appropriate discharge plans upon admission to Hospice House. Patients are discharged when the purpose for their admission has been resolved.
View Virtual Tour of our Elkhart Hospice House
For information or admission call
800-467-7423 24 hours/day
outside of our service area